Bled Castle is a powerful castle on the rock above Lake Bled. According to written sources is one of the oldest castles in Slovenia. Bled Castle is beside Bled island a symbol of Bled and Slovenia. From the castle are wonderful views to the lake with an island, Julian Alps, Karavanke, Lesce, Radovljica and other surroundings. The castle was donated with the deed of donation from Henrik II. to Brixen bishop Adalberon in 1011. The name Bled was in medieval written sources first mentioned in the German form Veldes. In Gorenjska Region Bled Castle was the administrative centre of the Brixen land property. Bled and its beauty was described by many travelers, among them was also Janez Vajkard Valvasor in 1689. Later Brixen bishops leased property and the castle also to others. During Napoleon’s occupation the Bled estate belonged to the Illyrian Provinces. In 1838 the Brixen bishops got the property back, but they sold it to the owner of the Jesenice ironworks, Viktor Ruard in 1858, because of too high costs. In 1882 Viktor Ruard sold the castle property and the castle to the wholesaler Adolf Muher. The next owner was the hotelier Ivan Kenda, who wanted to arrange the castle to a hotel. The bank seized all his property in 1937 and after bank the property got the Drava Province. Bled castle has buildings arranged around two courtyards. Farm buildings were on the lower yard and the residential area was on the upper yard. Buildings are from the Renaissance and city walls are Romanesque. Today is the Bled castle in the property of the state and managed by the cultural institution of Bled. Bled Castle was throughout the history scene of protocol and diplomatic meetings at the highest levels. The castle was renovated and arranged to tourist visits in years from 1952 to 1961 by plans from the architect Tone Bitenc. The museum part of the castle was renovated in 2008.