Maribor is the centre of Stajerska Region and the second largest Slovenian town. It has varied historical past. As the city was first mentioned in the year 1254. Already one year later the local people began to built two kilometres long town walls, which limited the old city kernel. The walls were additional strengthen with defensive towers, which are Judgement (Port) Tower, Celigij Tower and Water Tower. Old town centre hides many interesting buildings and places like Lent, Old Wine, the Bay of Koblar, Maribor Island, Koroska Bridge, the Church of Saint Joseph and the fountain, the Old bridge, the Castle square with the castle and museum, the Main square with Plague monument and Town Hall, the Slomsek Cathedral, Jewish synagogue and many others. Lent is the oldest part of the city by the river Drava. On the façade of the Old Vine House is the oldest vine in the world. To the Maribor Island you can go by walking path by river Drava. In the summer time are here public baths. The church of Joseph’s was once the Romance church with the largest meetings, when the small dealers sold ladles and other goods. The beginning of the city is tighty connected with the crossing of the river Drava. The present Old bridge, built between years 1906 and 1912, was one of the most beautiful bridges in Austria-Hungary. The Maribor castle is situated in the heart of the city and is surrounded with the vivid Castle square, the Freedom square and the Square of General Maister. The castle is the most beautiful and the biggest building in the city. Today is the museum of Maribor. The central room is the festival or chivalrous hall. The main square is the biggest square in Maribor. In the centre is the Plague monument. It was erected in the 17th century to thanks for the end of plague. Town hall is from the year 1515. Today is here the restaurant called Toti rotovz, the smaller exhibition room and the Puppet theatre. The Cathedral church is situated in the middle of the Slomsek Square. It was built in the first half of the 12th century as the three nave basilica in the Romanic style. It became the cathedral in the year 1859. In past hundred years was two times renovated. Today shows the Gothic form with long choir from the 14th century and central nave from the 15th century. You can go at the 57 metres high tower only by beforehand agreement. The Jewish synagogue is one of the best preserved synagogues in Europe. It can be found in the Jewish square in former Jewish quarter, which is located near the main square. First time was mentioned in the year 1427, but probably was built before. By the synagogue in past times were also the rabbi house, Talmud's school, the churchyard and by the river Drava the ritual churchyard. Today is the cultural and concert centre.
Glavni trg (Main Square) in Maribor