Minorite Square was named the Beef Square in the Middle Ages, because they leaded the cattle to the River Drava from here. From the year 1959, when it was built the new bridge over the river, goes from here to the town one of the main roads. On the Minorite Square is the Mary’s Pillar, which was erected by the count Georg Friedrich Sauer in the thanks for the victory above Turks. After many famous victories they erected such columns in many towns of the Hapsburgs monarchy. The founders of the Minorite Monastery were the well known Lords of Ptuj, which already established the Dominican Monastery in the year 1230. The earliest mentioning of the monastery in written sources goes to the 13th century. In this time the buildings were comprehending only the eastern part of the today’s building. They rebuilt it many times from the 14 th century. They changed the monastery and the church to the baroque style in the last quarter of the 17th century under the guidance of the guardian Gaspar Dietel. The church was pulled down by the bombs in the year 1945. On the place of the former church by the Gothic presbytery they built the post office in the year 1967. The presbytery was finally renovated in the year 1989. They demolished the post building in the year 2001 and started to built the church nave by the plans of the former church. The most beautiful rooms are the library and the refectory.
Ptuj - Minoritski trg (Minorite Square)