Smartno is one of the most beautiful villages in the centre of Goriska brda. It was built on the remains of the Roman stronghold. In written sources was first mentioned in 1317. The walls with towers were built for defence against Turkish invasions in the first half of the 16th century. Sometimes had had possessions here the Counts of Gorizia, but after death of last one the Goricko Region inherited the Habsburg emperor Maximilian. Smartno is included in the connection of antiturkish camps and villages in Brdo and Primorska Region. As a frontier fortress was a village until the middle of the 18th century, when the Venetian danger had passed.
Old medieval houses are grouped around the Church of Saint Martin, which is the largest parish church in Brda. In the church we can see the frescoes of Tone Kralj. The church tower was sometimes the fortress tower. Among the narrow streets is situated the Briska House in which is a smaller museum. The house has a Gothic stone portal. It was renovated during the rustic Baroque. The living place is divided into a better room, kitchen and an attic. The equipment of the house combines elements of the folk architecture and typical house in Goriska Brda. In the village they have a gallery for exhibitions and an event hall. The village Smartno is a cultural monument because of its exceptional architecture heritage.