Dravograd with neighbourhood have many natural and cultural attractions that attract many domestic and foreign visitors. Among them, the town of Dravograd, the Dravograd hydroelectric power plant, Lake Dravograd and Libelice stand out the most.
Dravograd is the geographical center of Carinthia. The town grew in a traffic-important position at the confluence of the Meza, Drava and Mislinja rivers. The Drava river separates the old market settlement of Podgrad under the castle ruins from the newer Meza. They are connected by a picturesque concrete bridge. The city has a varied historical past. Already in ancient times there was a junction of Roman roads from Celeia to Virunum. Dravograd was the most important and largest square in the Drava Valley and in the 12th century one of the five oldest squares in Carinthia. Today, the largest local attractions are the Church of Saint Vitus, the Church of St. John Evangelist, museum collection in the building of the municipality of Dravograd, memorial park and landscape park Kosenjak - Velka. The Church of St. Vitus is a typical Romanesque church with an eastern bell tower. Now it is mainly intended for art and music activities.
It hosts a diverse cultural life, with concerts and exhibitions. The city has two business centers. On the hill above Dravograd are the ruins of the Old Castle from the 12th century. Hydroelectric power plant Dravograd is the first facility of the Drava chain in Slovenia. At the end of World War II, it was badly damaged and the intensive restoration was not completed until 1955, when the third turbine was installed. Lake Dravograd is an accumulation lake on the river Drava. It is an ornithological reserve. About 160 different plant species were found along the lake. The most famous is the reed, which forms extensive reedbeds on the shallows and banks. The entire course of the Drava River is extremely important for the conservation of birds. Libelice is a clustered village on the Libelisko polje along the Slovenian-Austrian border.
The settlement is known for one of the few preserved rotunda ossuaries in Slovenia. Church of Saint Martin was first mentioned in 1106. The ossuary at the church is a multi-storey rotunda with a semicircular apse from the 13th century.
Most Beautiful Trips
St. Vitus Church in Dravograd
Church of St. John Evangelist
Hydroelectric power station Dravograd near Dr...
Dravograd Lake reservoir
Ossuary at Libelice
Ossuary and the Church of St. Martin
The ethnological collection
Presbytery - museum