Carpaccio Square is named by the famous Italian painter V. Carpaccia. At the square is situated his house from the 14th century. In this part the important buildings are also the Taverna, fountain, Saint Justina's column and the Palace Almerigotti. Taverna is the former salt storehouse, which was also named the storehouse of the Saint Mark. The Taverna was probably standing here in the beginning of the 17th century. In the beginning of the 20th century the saltpan activity started to sank and the large salt storehouses became unnecessary. The Taverna was reshaped and intended to the fishmonger's shop, shops, warehouses, lodging houses and other. The exterior of the building did not feel any changes, only in the interior they changed some things, because of the new shops. In the year 2004 they began with the radical renovation of the Taverna. It got the new intention and they almost completely cleared it. Today is the scene for the entertainments and festivities. The Saint Justina's column was sometimes standing by the sea near the salt storehouse. It was built in the memory of the battle at Lepan in the year 1571.
Carpaccio Square with Taverna, Column of St. Justine and fountain in ...