Koper is the largest city on the Slovenian coast, stretching between Izola and Ankaran. The picturesque historical town is the center of the Municipality of Koper. Port of Koper is located near Koper, which is the only international cargo port in Slovenia.
There are two official languages in the town, besides Slovene, there is also Italian. The old town is located on a former island - Goat Island, which has been around for centuries combined naturally and by embankment with the land area. A new town center and harbor were built on the settlement, and new residential neighborhoods were created on the nearby hilly slopes. At the same time as economic growth, health, culture and education have advanced. The principle of bilingualism has become important and integrating members of the Italian nationality in all forms of public life. Since 2003, the University of Primorska has been operating in Koper. The historic city center, marked by many important cultural monuments, has preserved the basic characteristics of the Middle Ages. Saint Anne's Church and the Franciscan Friary of St. Anne are located on Destradi Square in the Old Town. The original St. Anne's Church was built and furnished until the winter months of 1513. The altar image of Vittore de Feltre and Cima da Coneglian was then made and placed on the main altar. The church was much smaller than the present one. The patron saint was Mary Angelic for about a decade, but before the construction the patron saint was changed, so that the church is dedicated to Saint Anne. The present church of St. Anne was finished in 1627, after the renovation work began in 1620.
The monastery church was once adorned with a painting collection famous painters such as Girolamo Santacroce, Benedetto Carpaccio, Vivarini and others, and in the presbytery there was a renaissance triptych of Cima da Conegliano. Today the most valuable late Gothic choir benches from the end of the 15th century and the famous Baroque organ are in the church.
Church of St. Anna from Vojkovo nabrezje
Church of St. Anna from the direction of Port Koper
Front - Entrance into the church and friary
Church and friary of St. Anna - The monastery church of St. Anna, 15th...
St. Anne's Church
Presbitery with the side altars
Altar dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes
Exit from the church, organ loft, organ
Organ loft with the organ
Altar dedicated to St. Andrew
Altar dedicated to the Franciscan saint St. Didacus