Koper is the largest city on the Slovenian coast and an important international port. The old town center is located on a former island, which united naturally and by embankment with the mainland.
A new town center and harbor were built in the inhabited area, and new residential neighborhoods were created on the nearby hilly slopes. Since 2003, the University of Primorska has been in Koper. In the area of the Old Town there were certainly ancient Greek Egida and later Roman Insula Caprea or Goat Island. From that time the island was always populated. Between 18th and 20th century, the port was shaded by the more important harbor of Trieste. After Second World War, Slovenia began to join international maritime transport through the port of Trieste and Koper gradually developed into a larger industrial center. The port of Koper has become important for Central Europe. At the same time as economic development, health, culture and education have advanced. With its many cultural monuments, the Old Town has preserved the basic characteristics of the Middle Ages. The most important sights are the Praetor's Palace in the central town square, the parish church of Mary the Assumption, the Manzioli House from 1470, the 16th-century Lovisato House, which has Lombard-Renaissance windows, the Muda Gate and more.
The Gian Rinaldo Carli Grammar School, the Collegio Dei Nobili School of Nobles, the oratory, the Church of Saint Thomas are located at the Grammar School Square and in the nearness.
Koper - Grammer School Square
Grammar School Rian Rinaldo Carli
School for nobles "Colleio Dei Nobili"
The Verzi Portal
The Verzi Portal in Koper
The Verzi Portal at Agrarna reforma Street
Church in Pobegova Street
Obzidna Street in Koper
Window on the house in Obzidna Street
Church of Saint Thomas
Church of Saint Thomas from the end of 16th Century in Koper