Despite the rapid development of tourism, the old layout of a typical village settlement was preserved in Kranjska Gora. Many farm buildings, old houses and buildings of the Carinthian type have been modernized for tourist purposes. The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary is located in the old town center of Kranjska Gora. According to the old tradition, the church stood at a very early age and was called Mary on the White Pebble. A Romanesque bell tower made of sand squares has been preserved from the former church. The present-day church is a late Gothic building dating from 1510. The contractor was master Jernej Firtaler from Villach. Carinthian influence is mainly seen in the nave, which rests on the inner supports and is decorated with a decorative interlacing of ribs. The vault is one of the most interesting of its kind in Slovenia. The two Gothic plastics are from the first half of the 15th century. In front of the church are statues - Josip Lavtizar, Simon Robic and Lovrenc Lavtizar. In addition to this cultural landmark, Liznjek's house, which is more than 300 years old, and the birthplace of Josip Vandot - Podbreg 27, are located in the Old Town. In Liznjek's house, in addition to the black kitchen and the well-kept layout of the premises, the ethnographic museum collection and permanent exhibition on the life and work of the renowned youth writer Josip Vandot, author of popular children's stories about the Kekec shepherd, have been present since 1983.
Kranjska Gora - The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary
The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary
Busts of Josip Lavtizar, Simon Robic, Lovrenc Lavtizar
Bust - Josip Lavtizar (1851 - 1943)
Bust - Simon Robic (1824 - 1897)
Bust - Lovrenc Lavtizar (1820 - 1858)
The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary - Interior