Town Square with its cathedral, Town Hall, diocesan mansion and fountain in the middle, represents one of the most beautiful baroque ambiences in Central Europe. The square was one of the centers of the medieval town from the 12th century onwards.
When many medieval buildings were demolished in the earthquake of 1511, they were replaced by Renaissance and later Baroque houses, which still feature the image of the Town Square. The most famous and important is the Town Hall building, also called Rotovz or Magistrat. In front of Town Hall stands the famous Baroque Robb fountain, which was made between 1743 and 1751 by the sculptor Francesco Robba. The fountain symbolically illustrates the three Carniolan rivers Ljubljanica, Sava and Krka, and was modeled after Bernini's fountain at Piazza Navona in Rome. The Town Hall is today the seat of the City of Ljubljana. It was built in the 15th century. At that time it was built by Gregor Macek according to Carl Martinuzzi's plans. The building was later rebuilt many times, most thoroughly in 1963 according to the plans of Svetozar Krizaj. The building facade reflects Venetian influence. The lobby has a statue of Hercules and a late Gothic plaque with the coat of arms, which is the remains of an old building. In the courtyard arcades stands the Narcissus well, which used to be located on Bokalce Castle. At the staircase is a monument to mayor Ivan Hribar (1851-1941). The following places are on display at City Hall: Historic Atrium, Glass Atrium, Right and Central Atrium. The historic atrium is a closed exhibition space.
It is suitable for the preparation of large exhibitions whose exhibits are partly resistant to different weather conditions. It is excellent for architecture, sculpture, photography, ceramic exhibitions and more.