Plague Column is situated in the Glavni trg (Main Square) in Maribor. It was placed in the visible place at the centre of the square. Column with the image of the Virgin Mary was built in the year 1681 in grateful thanks for the end of the plague that had claimed a third of the city's population. Above the head of the Virgin Mary is the rosary of the twelve stars and under her feet is the moon. In the 18th century the plague column was replaced with the present one. This is the work art of the Jozef Straub, which was the famous baroque sculptor. The column is surrounded by six saints to whom the townspeople had prayed for intercession. Later was to the altarpiece added the fence.
Plague Column in Maribor
Plague Column and jesuitic college in the background
Plague Column on the Glavni trg
Plague Column and one of statues nearby
Plague Column and old lamp
Plague Column dates from 1743 is the work of the Maribor baroque sculp...
Plague Column in the evening
Bottom part of Plague Column
Municipality: MARIBOR (110871 population)
Settlements in the municipality:
Maribor (94642 population), Limbuš (1988), Kamnica (1644), Pekre (1465), Razvanje (1287),
Bresternica (1284), Rošpoh - del (776), Zrkovci (753), Dogoše (726), Trčova (693), Hrastje (553), Malečnik (507), Počehova (405), Ruperče (395), Jelovec (329), Laznica (314), Ribniško selo (301), Metava (293), Meljski Hrib (292), Celestrina (286), Vinarje (234), Šober (232), Gaj nad Mariborom (216), Vodole (214), Srednje (184), Za Kalvarijo (157), Pekel (156), Hrenca (140), Nebova (129), Vrhov Dol (117), Zgornji Slemen - del (87), Grušova (72)