Piran is an old port city located at the end of the Piran Peninsula and slowly narrowing between the Piran Bay and the Strunjan Bay. It is an interesting Mediterranean village, full of prints from earlier periods and an invaluable monument of successfully conceived architecture.
Piran got its present appearance at the end of the 19th century. Tartini Square was created by the inundation of the Inner Harbor. The city extended southeast toward Bernardin, where they built a shipyard. The cemetery in Piran is located at the beginning of the old town center, near the city walls and along the main road to Fiesa. The cemetery has existed since 1812 and in 2012 celebrated its 200th anniversary. The old town cemetery used to be located near the St. George's Church, in the area where the headquarters of the Georgios Pastoral Cultural Center is today. Reputable and wealthy families of Piran, for their last resting places, have afforded tombs in the churches. The cemetery was further expanded in the 1960s and at that time the cemetery chapels of Saint Mohor and Fortunat and entrance hall were built. Among the preserved graves are the tombs of the oldest Piran noble families, such as Fonda, Corsi, Apollonio, Tamaro, Viezzoli, Bubba, Bartole, Venier, Zarotti, Rota, Ravalico. The most magnificent is the tomb - the chapel de Castro, which was built in the 1930s. The Castro family is the oldest documented Piran patrician family mentioned in written sources in the 10th century. An ossuary was built to store bones from buried graves, which served its purpose from 1939 to 1963. Today, the remains of town people are still stored in wooden chests. In addition to the tombs, the cemetery also features the obelisks, which are 15. The most preserved and largest is the obelisk that adorns the tomb of the famous architect Lorenzo Furian from 1861.
The Piran cemetery has been enlarged and renovated several times over the years, the last extension being made in 2010. The special feature of the cemetery is the concrete tomb, which was built in 1995, modeled after the tomb of Trieste.
Piran - Cemetery
Road to the Town Walls above Piran
Entrance hall of the cemetery in Piran
Entrance hall (architect G. Moso)
Passage through the entrance hall
Chapel of St. Mohor and Fortunat
Chapel of St. Mohor and Fortunat on the cemetery in Piran
Family valult de Castro
Cemetery in Piran