At an altitude of 1611 metres, the mountain pass at Vrsic is the highest in the eastern Julian Alps and provides a link between the Savska and the Soska valleys. We can have a relaxing cub of tea or even stay the night at the Ticarjev mountain hut, which is located at the top of the pass. There are five mountain huts on Vrsic offering refreshment and rest.
Just off the main road winding up Vrsic, at an altitude of around 1200 metres is located the Russian chapel. It is a Russian Orthodox memorial chapel which was built by Russian prisoners of war engaged in forced labor in the area during the First World War. During the war Kranjska Gora was an important cross – roads of military passages. When Italy declared war to Austria in May 1915, the connection with the front line on the river Soca was a strategic importance. In the years 1915 to 1916 Austrian military command engaged more than 10.000 Russian war prisoners to build the road from Kranjska Gora over the Mojstrovka (Vrsic) mountain pass to Trenta.
In March 1916 more than a hundred Russian prisoners and some Austrian guards were buried by an avalanche. Two burial grounds in the vicinity of the Erjavceva koca, the tomb and the Russian Chapel, built in 1917 by the surviving Russian prisoners in memory of their fellow soldiers, are the reminders of the tragic events.
Vrsic - Russian Chapel
Road to Vrsic
Russian Chapel by the road from Kranjska Gora to Vrsic
Parking area near the Russian Chapel
Russian Road - Russian Chapel
Stars to the Russian Chapel
Russian Chapel in Vrsic - Information board
View back to the road
Path to the Russian Chapel
Russian Chapel and the tomb of the unknown Russian soldier
Russian Chapel below Vrsic
Russian Chapel build in 1916
Russian Chapel by the road to Vrsic
Russian Chapel - Cultural monument
Vault with the monument in the form of a pyramid with the label "To th...
Tomb of the unknown Russian soldier
Neighbourhood of the Russian Chapel
On this place was camp of the prisoners of war
Monument with the map of the Russian Road to Vrsic