Dravograd is geographical centre of Koroska Region. It lies in the confluence of river Drava with Mislinja and Meza. River Drava divides Dravograd in two banks, connected together with hydroelectric power station and bridges. Dravograd has varied historical past. Ortolf Trusenjaski built in the middle of 12th century in the small hill in the left side of river Drava a castle, under which was standing a small settlement. This is already mentioned in the year 1185 as square Dravograd (Traberch) with the St. Vitus Church, two courts, ferry and tollhouse, because of the nearness of the provincial border. When the Trusenjski family in the year 1261 extincted, the renters and owners frequently changed. Between last ones were also the counts of Celje and the Hapsburgs. In the middle century Dravograd was one of the most important squares of Drava valley. It was surrounded with walls and inside was approximately 70 houses. The inhabitants, mostly merchants and tradesmen, lived at the top, downstairs they run an inn, shops and trade workshops. The castle was left by the last owner in the year 1846 and since that time was falling into ruins. Today is Dravograd with the old city centre the cultural, administrative and business centre of the community. The square Dravograd is one of the oldest in Slovenia. It is filled with restaurants and other service activities. The old city centre preserved the medieval look. The most remarkable is the St. Vitus Church, which is also the oldest in Slovenia. It is a typical Romanic church with eastern belfry. Now is intended for musical and artistic activity. There is going on varied cultural life, with exhibitions and concerts. In Dravograd is also interesting and beautiful the church of St. John Evangelist. It was built when the St. Vitus Church become too small with the increasing of the population. There was also chapter and parish seat from the year 1386. Later was rebuilt. In the basement area of the municipal administrative building is situated the smaller musical collection. There are preserved the Gestapo’s prisons. The main seat for Gestapo was in the former hotel Korotan. Near the building is the memorial park, which is consecrated to fighters for northern frontier, victims of the second world war and victims of the emancipation war from the year 1991. Dravograd has two business centes. The business and sport centre Traberg with the hotel is in the fringe of the square. At the bridge over river Drava is situated commercial and business centre Meza with administrative services, railway and bus station. The landscape park Kosenjak – Velka is naturalisticaly the most interesting part of Dravograd region. It begins close to the old bridge and goes over Ojstrica and Goriski Vrh to Kosenjak, which is the highest peak of the municipality and Kobansko.
Municipality: DRAVOGRAD (9038 population)
Settlements in the municipality:
Dravograd (3289 population), Otiški Vrh (869), Črneče (665), Šentjanž pri Dravogradu (543), Sv. Danijel (482),
Selovec (471), Bukovska vas (371), Vič (241), Goriški Vrh (236), Trbonje (235), Libeliče (205), Libeliška Gora (160), Dobrova pri Dravogradu (155), Podklanc (153), Gorče (138), Vrata (107), Tribej (101), Sv. Duh (100), Ojstrica (99), Kozji Vrh nad Dravogradom (98), Sv. Boštjan (94), Bukovje (74), Tolsti Vrh p. R. na K. - del (61), Črneška Gora (48), Velka (43)