Kluze Fortress is situated near Bovec. It belongs to the most powerful and most interesting strongholds. It is lying above the deep gorge of the Koritnica River, in its most narrow part. Before the Kluze Fortress is a small park, where are also the information tables. The primary Venetian fortress was erected in the second part of the 15th century for defence before the Turks. The Venetians were banished away in the year 1509 and the Kluze fortress came into the Austrian possession. It was strengthen at the expense of the Carinthia provincial States and it became the seat of the district. In the second part of the 17th century the governor general of a province Georg Filip von Gera took care for the necessary improvement and completed it. The Kluze Fortress played the important role in the French wars. It was burnt down and destroyed in the year 1797. In the years from the 1881 to 1882 the remains were pulled down and they built the new fortress in the same place. Between the First World War was here the seat of the Austro – Hungarian garrision close behind the front line. After the Second World War it lost its rule and was left to the time. Between the years 1987 and 1991 they protected the roof construction and put in order the surroundings. Inside of the fortress is presented the history of the fortress and its surroundings, the smaller tourist office, wedding hall and local painting gallery. They regularly perform the games of soldiers, which are dressed in uniforms and with the equipment from the period of the First World War. Before the fortress in the direction of Bovec you can see The Castle Well from the year 1670, which is cut in the rocks. In the well was flowing the rainwater. Before that they carried the water from Koritnica River.
Parking place is located right away after crossing the bridge over Kor...
Direction sign for Bovec and Predel
Bridge over Koritnica
Kluze Fortess in the Bovec Municipality
North side of Kluze Fortress where is the entrance
Monument built on the 210th anniversary of French occupation of Bovec ...
Small park in front of the Kluze Fortress where are also information b...
Kluze Fortress - East side
Kluze Fortress - At the south side
Kluze Fortress - South side
Arrival to the Kluze Fortress from Bovec direction
Kluze Fortress - Southwest side
Road Bovec/Trenta - Log pod Mangartom
Kluze Fortress - West side
Inscription FJI (Franz Joseph I)