Bistra is a village, which belongs to the Municipality of Vrhnika. The village with a carthusian monastery is named by karstic springs which spring here.
Bistra is well known by the monastery and later Castle Bistra, which is today a Technical Museum of Slovenia, the source of Ljubljanica River, a castle park and a forest educational path.
The beginnings of the monastery began in 1220, when duke Bernard Spanheim invited to Carniola first Carthusian monks. Bistra was one of four monastery of Carthusian monks in Slovenia. In the museum they have permanent collections from forestry, hunting, fishing, transport, woodworking, electricity, textile, agriculture, printing and other. In the collection of transport are interesting collections of cars before and after World War II., cars of Josip Broz – Tito, cars of national production, motorcycles and bicycles.
Castle park is very nice arranged and interwind with many walking paths. In this part is also a cafe and a pavilion for romantic weddings. The Forest Educational Trail is located directly above the museum of Bistra. From here is also a nice view to surroundings. It is about 2300 meters long and goes through beech and fir forest.
Footbridges between carthusian monastery and ...
Road between Borovnica and Vrhnika
Main entrance in the former charterhouse with...
West tract of Bistra Carthusian Monastery
Arcaded corridors on the south tract of Bistr...
Central part of carthusian monastery
The oldest preserved part of former charterho...
Statue of Saint Hubert
Five scenes from the life of St. Jozef on the...
Collection of the old cars
View of park through arched entrance
Promenade in park
Pond in the park of the former Bistra Charter...
Mills near the source
Defensive tower with walls above Bistra Chart...